Saturday

My first heart walk


This last Thursday I participated in my first American Heart Association Walk for 2010, joining the staff of Alta Bates Cardiovascular Rehabilitation Center and patients.



Alta Bates Cardiovascular Rehabilitation group


The weather could not have been any better, considering Friday was overcast and there is a forecast for light showers today. We were a small group of 23 individuals when considering Kaiser Permanente, Wells Fargo volunteers and other groups who participated in the annual event.


We meet at the clinic where Susan made sure we all had our Alta Bates T-shirts and red caps from the American Heart Association. Alta Bates Hospital provided two shuttle buses to take us to Lake Merritt in Oakland, where the festivities where being held.


Our group was divided into two, those who could manage the entire distance, while the other group did the one-mile route. As you see by the images, I choose the distance.



Alta Bates Cardiovascular Rehabilitation group


Lake Merritt is a focal point, as it stands out as a jewel of Oakland, with its unique combination of fresh and salt-water, it is the larges such lake in an urban area; consisting of 3.4 miles around the circumference of the lake and covering 155 acres of land.



The Cathedral of Christ the Light


We passed a variety of interesting architecture along our journey, including numerous wildlife from egret, herons and Canadian geese. It was at the half way mark I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right decision concerning my shoes, as I had opted for lighter weight then the heavier exercising ones, due to the distance, but all I could do was continue on with determination and so I did.




Once back where we all had started, Subway provided us with the selection of either a turkey or vegetarian sandwich, which came with a banana and a package of peanuts.
By the time I came home, I was indeed exhausted and my feel had paid their price, and yet if I were asked to sign up for the 2011 walk, I would do so without hesitation.


Though now I am home from cardiovascular rehabilitation last four weeks, I have begun to pick up the many loose ends that have been neglected since May. Though I long to paint and draw, it must wait but it also means I have not been busy enlarging my collection of photographic images of the Berkeley Telephone poles. A number of these I shall share in a couple of weeks.




I thank you for your visit
and comment . . .

Egmont




31 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

I enjoyed reading about your walk and viewing the photos you took as you went along. You must be so pleased that you were able to take part in this walk; I think it is wonderful. Although you would have been very tired and maybe a little sore I am sure you felt wonderful having completed it. Fantastic.

S. Susan Deborah said...

Dear Egmont:

Nice to see a post from you. I was looking hard in the photograph to spot you. Looks like you have been well and doing fine. I am glad you enjoyed the outdoors and were able to sight some lovely things. I wish you a invigorating and happy Sunday.

Joy always,
Susan

sophie munns said...

Ah... you did well Egmont....a long walk with the shoes not helping!
Good on you... great to hear about this - its always easier I find to walk a long distance with company! And great to support this initiative.
A sunny day and various interesting views to take in made it all the more pleasant!
best wishes,
Sophie

Ian Foster said...

Well done Egmont! I'm pleased to see that you are making good progress, I am sure you made the right decision to opt for the longer distance and push yourself a bit.

Anna Mavromatis said...

I am glad to see you doing so well, looking so good, and enjoying the ride to good health! Bravo!!!

Caterina Giglio said...

My Dear Egmont,
it is so nice to have you back active in Blogland again. I am so happy that you are doing so well and will look forward to your photographic images and to more posts as well! congratulations on healing.. I send you continued hopeful thoughts of healing and greater recovery.
caterina

JJ said...

Egmont: Congratulations! I am certain that even a man of your magnitude does not fully realize how positively you influence those of us who have stories we are not bold enough to share. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your successful walk! Your photographs are lovely. You sound remarkably upbeat and positive dear friend. That alone tells me you are feeling better. I'm so glad.

Teri said...

There's nothing like the feeling you get from being in a group of like-minded people with a cause. You certainly have come a long way, Egmont, with your rehab. I know you will continue to move ahead in a positive direction and I can't wait to see those poles!

Anonymous said...

Dear Egmont, What a very good idea this walk was, and how marvellous that you could 'do the distance'. It is always a good feeling to be part of a supportive community and so helpful to one's recovery.

I am so pleased that you are feeling better and look forward to reading of your new projects.

LemonyRenee' said...

That's terrific Egmont! Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment -- and thank you for the wonderful photos.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Good for you and good for the group! Photos say so much...Lake Merritt looks wonderful...perfect sunny day!

Celeste Bergin said...

Egmont! Congratulations on the walk--that is fantastic! Next year your shoes will be broken in. I'm so proud of you for doing this--it is amazing that you have come this far. BRAVO!

Laura said...

How wonderful that you were feeling well enough to participate. It was such an amazing experience for me last spring when I was part of the MS walk with my family...mostly I was in my chair...but I was there. Part of it all. I hope your health continues to improve and you will be back in your studio very soon!

Debrina said...

Dear Egmont - I have missed you these past months and because I have been so awfully busy I had not seen that you have already made quite a few postings. Well, I would just like to say how very impressed I am to see that you are walking for your heart. We need to keep it as fit as a fiddle so that it can continue to play the marvellous creative tunes that are you. I have begun a walking regime too - I have a lot of babby blubber to get rid of and I really want to get my heart fit too. Problem is, the weather has been so miserable in New Zealand here these last couple of weeks I'm actually getting depressed instead!

Tonya Vollertsen said...

Congratulations Egmont! What a wonderful accomplishment! All that hard work and determination has really paid off! So happy to read this post.

Laura said...

Hello Egmont, You've not posted in quite a while so I'm checking in to say hello and let you know that you remain in my daily healing prayers.

gentle steps

L'Adelaide said...

hi egmont, just popped by as a result of a rather bizarre link but anyway...wanted to say hello to you, hoping you are feeling well and getting back to life and art again.
xx

alaine@éclectique said...

Dear Egmont, thank you for visiting me; at least now I know you are fine. Thinking of you and wish you well. ♥a

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is only my second or third visit to this blog. Imagine my enjoyment as I read about your failed recovery, yet how you always have such positive thoughts. It seems there is hope always in the wings. I know you don't want sympathy, but my heart goes out to you and the goodness and kindness you show to others, even those you don't know except in blogland.

I am featuring this blog today (Nov 8). I actually came "last night," but stayed so long that I lasted into "today." Thanks for all you do for me and others you care about. You are one very special and unique person. I'm so glad we "met."

John M. Mora said...

I always enjoyed time at Lake Merritt, an odd dichotomy there between nature and Oakland, but it is a special place.

JJ said...

Just wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Patrinas Pencil said...

way to go, Egmont! nice to see you in that picture :)

take care of you
patrina <")>><

Jala Pfaff said...

Sounds good, Egmont.
And this telephone pole project really has my curiosity piqued.

LemonyRenee' said...

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, Egmont, and a happy, healthful new year.

John M. Mora said...

Merry Christmas...my best. John

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Egmont dear,

Thank you, thank you for the note and the card.

I send you love and best wishes and a wonderful and memorable holiday!

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Liz.Blog said...

All Best Wishes to you into the New Year 2011!

jill zaheer said...

It's been a while since my visit, but still a pleasure and wonderful way to put a smile on my face. congrats on your walk and love the pics of the city! Thanks so much for your wonderful holiday card- so festive with glimpses of the room included! All the best for a wonderful and rewarding new year!

Jeanne Henriques said...

Well done Egmont! It looks like you have a great network of friends there. I am so impressed and so glad to hear you are on the mend.

Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy 2011.

Jeanne xx

Alice said...

Dear Egmont,

many thanks to your interrest for our little workshop. Now You are listed and in our project! Please place also our project to your blog. I find your pictures really beautiful. I'll keep my fingers crossed to you! :)))))))

Hugs - Alice